Adapted from Gwyneth Paltrow
- ½ cup raw cacao powder or unsweetened cocoa powder (about 8 tablespoons)
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil (liquid), plus more as needed
- 2 pinches of sea salt
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-3 tablespoons chia seeds
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened coconut flakes (lightly toasted if desired)
- Melt coconut oil if necessary. At the same time toast the coconut flakes, if desired. I use my toaster oven on a light setting but you could also toast on stove top. Be careful not to burn!. Combine the cacao, maple syrup, coconut oil, salt and vanilla in a medium bowl and combine well with a spoon or whisk until it's a smooth mixture. Add a bit more coconut oil if needed so that they batter will form easily into balls.
- Pour the chia seeds and coconut flakes into a shallow dish. Form the cacao mixture into balls and roll each one in the chia seeds and flakes. Chill in the fridge until ready to eat.
Original recipe makes 16 small balls. I made them a little larger and ended up doubling the recipe after I tasted the batter (they are that good).
Be prepared to be quickly addicted so recommend sharing with friends and family so that you aren't tempted to eat them all in one go!
Makes a perfect Valentine's Day sweet for you and your loved ones.