ITALIAN CHICKEN WITH TOMATOES, PEPPERS & CAPERS
Inspired by cafedelites & Italian travels
• 2-4 Tbsp EVOO
• 2 lb of chicken breasts (or thighs)
• 4-5 garlic cloves, minced
• 1 yellow onion, diced
• 2 bell peppers, diced
• 1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
• 3-4 Tbsp capers
• ¼ cup olives
• 1 Tbsp dried oregano
• 28 oz crushed tomatoes, drained
• 2 Tbsp tomato paste
• 150 ml red wine
• ½ Tbsp red pepper flakes
• Salt & pepper (for chicken & to taste)
· Sprinkle chicken with salt & pepper
· Add EVOO to skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook for about 5 minutes, turning often until they are slightly browned. Remove from heat.
· Add the garlic and onions to the pan and cook for 3-4 minutes. Add the peppers and carrot; cook until they start to soften.
· Add the chicken back to the pan along with the wine and simmer for 5 minutes
· Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, capers, olives, oregano, salt and chili flakes.
· Reduce heat to low/simmer for 30-40 minutes or until chicken is fully cooked. Serve with pasta, rice or side of roasted veggies.